Strengthening Feminist Movements 2021 - 2022
**DEADLINE EXTENDED to 9 April 2021, 11:59 PM Sri Lanka time (GMT+5:30)**
About Strengthening Feminist Movements
The Strengthening Feminist Movements (SFM) grantmaking programme is focused on supporting women, girls, trans, and intersex rights activists, groups, and networks working on the local, subnational, and national levels.
The common threads that run through the grants under this programme are:
- promoting feminist principles and a rights-based perspective in women, girls, trans, and intersex rights work in the region, the key components of which are decisionmaking, agency, and voice;
- strengthening the leadership of women, girls (ages 18-24), trans, and intersex people, especially second-line leadership; and
- networking and collaborations among groups and activists working at local, subnational, and national levels.
Notes on our constituencies:
WFA acknowledges that there is no consistent and agreed upon definition of “girls.” WFA supports girls at two levels: through directly funding groups led by girls between the ages of 18 to 24, and through supporting work on rights of young women and girls aged 13 and above.
“Trans” is used by WFA as a placeholder to cover a diversity of gender identities and forms of gender expressions claimed by people across the region and the world. WFA supports trans rights, including that of transfeminine, transmasculine, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people, amongst other identities.
WFA will prioritize supporting applications submitted by:
- Those working towards strengthening movements to realise and sustain their rights
- Those working in difficult contexts and/or have limited access to resources
- Those using feminist, right-based, and intersectional approaches in their work
- Those groups which are self-led; i.e., the leadership of the group is representative of the constituency which the group is working with
- Organisational grants will range from USD 5,000 – USD 10,000.
- For applicants who have not been supported by WFA previously, the maximum amount for an organisational grant is USD 7,000.
- Individual grants will be up to USD 5,000.
Individuals and organisations can apply for a grant for either a period of 6 months or 12 months.
The call is open to women, girls (ages 18-24), trans, and intersex rights activists, groups, and networks working at the local, subnational, and national levels in the 17 Asian countries where we work:
South Asia: Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Pakistan, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka
East and Southeast Asia:Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Vietnam
Individuals and organisations are both eligible to apply for this grant, provided they fulfill all other eligibility criteria set out in the SFM call guidelines. Should you meet the eligibility criteria and decide to submit your full proposal, your application will be further assessed as per our grant selection process.
You are not eligible for this call if you are:
- A regional or global organisation or network, a feminist/women’s/trans/intersex fund, or
- Have a budget exceeding USD 50,000.
However, you may want to consider applying for our Leading from the South grantmaking programme instead.
**DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 9 APRIL 2021, 11:59 PM, Sri Lanka Time (GMT+5:30)**
All applications must be submitted by 2 April 2021, 12 midnight, Sri Lanka time (GMT+5.30), either via the online application form or through email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please review the call package before beginning your application.
- Guidelines for Strengthening Feminist Movements (PDF) [Accessible version]
- SFM Grantmaking FAQ
- Proposal Form
- Budget Form Template - Individual Applicants (XLS)
- Budget Form Template - Organisational Applicants (XLS)
Before beginning your application, please refer to the Checklist of Required Documents to ensure you have the listed documents. If your organisation does not have the all of the required documentation, please write to us before you apply at email@example.com, at least two weeks before the deadline.
You may want to watch our webinar we organised to go over the basics of our application process, as well as tips for developing a stronger application.
Video recording (YouTube)
How to Apply: Online
As part of your application, you will also need to submit supporting documentation for the online proposal form. This will include a budget form and items on the Checklist of Required Documentation. (See section for Call Package above.) All required documents must be submitted in the online application form.
After the online proposal format has been submitted, you will receive an email with a reference number for your application. If you do not receive this email, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “SFM Grant Application 2021-22: Missing Reference Number” before the submission deadline.
For any other enquiries, please use the subject “SFM Grant Application 2021-22: [ADD YOUR REFERENCE NUMBER]”.
The online application form is only available in English and can only be submitted in English.
How to Apply: Offline
Applicants can also submit their applications to us via email, including those who use screen reader-friendly (MS Word) versions of the proposal form. Those who would like to apply in another language must also submit their applications via email.
Please submit all required documents to email@example.com with the subject “SFM Grant Application 2021-22: Email Application - [APPLICANT NAME]” before the submission deadline.
Applying in Other Languages
The Strengthening Feminist Movements application materials are also available in ten regional languages besides English (ZIP files): Bahasa Indonesia, Bangla, Filipino, Hindi, Mongolian, Nepali, Sinhala, Tamil, Thai, and Vietnamese. Applicants may also submit their application using the English form in any of these regional languages: Bahasa Melayu, Burmese, Dzongkha, Khmer, Lao, Tetum, and Urdu.
Send your complete applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “SFM Grant Application 2021-22: Email Application - [APPLICANT NAME]” before the submission deadline.
Please write to email@example.com with the subject line “SFM Call 2021-22” for any queries while the call is open.